With prime vacation season just around the corner in various parts of the world, many cities are ready with smartphone apps that help visitors find what they're looking for (including plenty of places to spend their money). Below are 10 examples from around the world. You can find many more in the Smart Cities Apps Gallery (free, one-time registration required).
1. Anne's Amsterdam: Users can explore Amsterdam through the eyes of Anne Frank with this app that shows what life was like during the occupation in World War II through photos, videos and personal stories. The app guides users to 30 historical locations throughout the city.
2. Denver Adventures: The Denver Visitors and Tourist bureau created an app to help people explore the Mile High City. It points to deals and discounts, plus where to stay, eat and shop.
3. Downtown Public Art: This app offers a free, self-guided tour introducing a selection of artworks from the Calgary, Alberta public art collection located in the city's downtown. Users can explore the diverse collection and learn more about each work through an extended audio feature.
4. Youth HotSpot: The German National Tourist Board developed this app to help visitors find more than 1,300 free Wi-Fi locations around the country to learn about hotspots recommended by young people and other travelers. Hotspots include nightlife, shopping, bars, cafés, festivals and more.
5. Platinum Road: Using the GPS location of the user's smartphone, this app is an audio travel companion for visitors to South Africa. A companion to the book of the same name, Platinum Road was developed by Tourism Radio South Africa to provide anecdotal and historical information for travelers.
6. Old Louisville: Helping visitors appreciate Louisville, Kentucky's historic homes and architecture is what this app is all about. Other historic landmarks are featured too.
7. Quebec: This bilingual app is all about promoting tourism in the Quebec region, showcasing hotels, restaurants, shopping and events and other information useful to tourists.
8. Salzburg Walk and Maps: A walking tours app for Salzburg, Austria comes with a detailed and fully functional city map to help visitors explore the city and locate sights.
9. Sinulog Guide: This app provides a comprehensive guide to the grand Sinulog Festival held every year in Cebu, Philippines, including places to stay and local attractions to take in while visiting.
10. Go Pasadena: This smartphone app gives visitors to Pasadena, California access to detailed information on the city’s museums, shopping and entertainment areas, hotels, gardens, movie theaters, events, performing arts organizations, popular filming locations and more.
If you haven't visited the Smart Cities Apps Gallery, take a tour now. In addition to travel and tourism apps like the ones highlighted here, the gallery features a wide range of categories -- citizen reporting apps, local government services apps, public safety apps and a number of others. If you haven't registered yet, it takes just a moment and it's free and provides access to the Apps Gallery and all the other premium content on the site. Register now >>