I. Smart Communities Defined
Smart Communities are comprised of people who are committed to improving their community and working together to make smart decisions for the future. Those decisions include implementation of technological solutions that seamlessly interact with and complement each other, sharing of data within a governance structure, and addressing community needs through a comprehensive assessment. It is this smart collaboration – across jurisdictions and among public and private partners – that creates a Smart Community. Now is the time to implement a Regional Smart Community Vision throughout Southern Nevada in order to:
- Increase public sector efficiency by providing access to crucial and diversified information to optimize deployment and quality of services;
- Facilitate economic growth by improving workforce development, deploying innovative and effective infrastructure, and utilizing enhanced data to better deliver products and services; and
- Improve citizens’ quality of life by ensuring access to resources and services, offering secure and private interaction, bridging the digital divide, building trust in the public sector, and improving safety in their living environment.
II. The Underpinnings of the Smart Community
Smart Communities are Safe Communities that employ data analytics to inform decision makers and first responders; Inclusive Communities that deliver services to a diverse base of users and ensure broad accessibility to shared digital infrastructure; User Friendly Communities that provide platforms to access and share information in a secure and private manner; and Resource Efficient Communities that efficiently leverage existing infrastructure and resources to implement Smart Community initiatives and use data-driven technology to address energy, water and climate challenges.
III. The Vision
Our Smart Community incorporates the concepts of safety, inclusivity, user-friendliness, and resource-efficiency to achieve our Vision of: 1) Livability; 2) Workability; and 3) Sustainability.
- Livability measures a community's quality of life by considering built and natural environments, economic prosperity, social stability and equity, quality educational access, and cultural, entertainment, and recreational opportunities community-wide.
- Workability reflects a world-class infrastructure that seamlessly and consistently delivers services to users and enables global competitiveness for investment and jobs.
- Sustainability is a commitment to reduce resource use through improved Smart Community planning and efficient deployment of key community assets.
IV. Smart Community Sectors
Sector-specific organization of potential projects is critical to achieve the Smart Community Vision. These sectors are:
- Mobility and Transportation, including both the physical interconnectedness within a community as well as its access to other communities and economic centers;
- Livable Communities, involving the planning of a built environment, and the equipping of structures with smart technology;
- Energy Efficiency, achieved through the collection and utilization of data to inform energy management systems and the implementation of energy efficient projects;
- Social Infrastructure and Public Safety, encompassing educational initiatives at all levels, responsive social services, access to healthcare, and interfacing with public safety entities and first responders; and
- Water Resource Management, that incorporates data metrics and technology to responsibly meet current and future demands and maintain the water system, in a way that reduces water waste.
V. Achieving Success
In the successful pursuit of a Smart Community, it is crucial that those dedicated to its implementation do the following:
- Form collaborative and inclusive partnerships with relevant public and private stakeholders;
- Effectively use data through innovative and cooperative approaches;
- Assess challenges, needs, and opportunities first, and then develop tailored projects;
- Involve the private sector to assess needs and opportunities for smart initiatives; and
- Engage the community to ensure citizen value and prioritize initiatives.
VI. Commitment to Action
Through collaboration, Southern Nevada will transform into a community of the future that realizes the Smart Community Vision by sustaining growth, stimulating economic activity, providing a better quality of life for its citizens, and ensuring the public sector is effective and efficient.
The Stakeholders dedicated to realizing the Smart Community Vision will:
- Integrate and optimize existing initiatives to maximize efficiency;
- Cooperate on future projects;
- Share information and data;
- Meet quarterly throughout the year;
- Ensure data privacy and build trust; and
- Form an Acceleration and Innovation Center.